Annora Brown (1899–1987) was one of Alberta’s foremost early artists with a practice that spanned the 1930s to the mid-1980s. Based in Fort Macleod, she made a living as an artist through teaching (including at Mount Royal College, the University of Alberta, and the Banff School of Fine Arts), illustrating books and magazines, and selling her brightly coloured paintings in watercolour, tempera, and oil, and later, serigraph prints.
Laviolette, a well known Alberta curator, researcher and writer was introduced to Brown’s work about a decade ago and was struck by her creative versatility. The Old Man’s Garden was originally written and illustrated by Brown in the 1930s though it wasn’t published until 1954. A revised edition, published by Rocky Mountain Books earlier this year contains an introduction by Laviolette and a forward by Niitsítapi (Siksika) Bishop Sidney Black.